prep time: 25 Minutes | cook time: 20-24 mins | Makes 4-6 servings | recipe + Image From LODGE
- 1, 6-ounce package Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread & Muffin Mix
- 1 2/3 cups whole milk buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion, chopped
- 1, 2.52-ounce package fully cooked, thick-cut smoked bacon, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 9.6-ounce bags fully cooked sausage crumbles (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup bottled hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled hickory BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce
- 2 cups tri-color coleslaw mix (red and green cabbage with carrots)
- thinly sliced scallion for garnish, if desired
1. Spray a 10.25 inch skillet with cooking spray and gradually pre-heat over medium heat.
2. In medium-large bowl, combine cornbread mix, buttermilk, eggs, and sliced scallion.
3. Drop 1/4 cup of batter into center of the hot skillet; cook 1-2 minutes on each side until golden. Repeat with remaining batter, adding cooking spray to skillet as needed, to make 12 pancakes (in 5-to-6-inch rounds). Place pancakes on a large plate. Cover with foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
4. While pancakes are cooking, spray a second 10.25 Inch or 12 inch skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium. Add onions and bacon. Cook 6-8 minutes, stirring regularly. Add sausage crumbles, red pepper and garlic, cook 4-5 minutes more.
5. Combine hoisin sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, and pepper sauce in a medium bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of sauce mixture for plating and serving. Add remaining sauce to sausage mixture in skillet and stir well to combine. Cook 8-10 minutes to incorporate flavors and reduce sauce.
6. To serve, spoon an equal amount of the sausage mixture down the center of each pancake and top with an equal amount of coleslaw mix. Divide and spoon reserved sauce into 4-6 small bowls, then place on serving plates with 2-3 filled pancakes each. Garnish pancakes and sauce bowls with extra sliced scallion, if desired. Wrap pancakes around filling to eat.