prep time: 25 Minutes | cook time: 1 hour 20 mins | Makes 10-12 servings | From Nordicware
This Bundt cake is a slice of fall comfort, a soul warming Apple Pecan Spice Cake with Toffee Glaze. This tender cake makes the most of the seasons harvest and gives the candied flavor and glistening exterior of a caramel apple. This recipe was created by Bake From Scratch magazine as part of the Bundt of the Month recipe collection.-Nordicware
Apple Pecan Spice Bundt Cake:
- 1¾ cups (385 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (224 grams) canola oil
- ¾ cup (180 grams) sour cream, room temperature
- 3 large eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (13 grams) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon (1.5 grams) ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups (250 grams) (¼-inch) diced peeled Honeycrisp apples (about 2 large apples)
- ¾ cup (85 grams) roughly chopped toasted pecans
- Toffee Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped toasted pecans, flaked sea salt
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup (226 grams) dark corn syrup
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat brown sugar, oil, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla at medium speed until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, kosher salt, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating just until combined. Fold in apples and pecans. (Batter will be thick and it may seem like you have too many apples, but it will be fine.)
- Spray a 10-cup Nordic Ware Bavaria Bundt Pan with baking spray with flour. Using a pastry brush, spread any excess spray in pan, blotting brush with a paper towel as needed. Using a ¼-cup spring-loaded scoop, transfer batter to prepared pan. Tap pan on counter several times to spread batter into grooves and release any air bubbles. (The pan will be quite full, but the batter will not overflow.)
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using a small offset spatula, gently loosen cake from center of pan. Invert onto a wire rack placed over a rimmed baking sheet, leaving pan on cake; let stand for 10 minutes. Remove pan, and let cool completely.
- Spoon part of Toffee Glaze all over cooled cake. To coat sides, drizzle with additional Toffee Glaze, and spread with back of spoon. Garnish with pecans and sea salt, if desired. Let stand for 15 minutes; transfer cake to a serving plate. Serve with any extra Toffee Glaze.
- In a medium saucepan, bring brown sugar, corn syrup, cream, butter, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla. Transfer mixture to a medium heatproof bowl. Let cool for 20 minutes. Use immediately.