prep time: 10 mins | Bake time: 45 mins | Makes 13-15 servings | From nordicware
The combination of cocoa powders and coffee make this decadent Chocolate Cherry Bundt Cake absolutely irresistible and the ultimate treat. The cake is made in our 75th Anniversary Braided Bundt and topped with sweet cherries and homemade whipped cream. Recipe developed by Paige Goehner, the winner of the 6th Season of the Kids Baking Championship, featured on Food Network in 2019.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup regular cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1 can canned cherry pie filling
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp vanilla pudding mix
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, both cocoa powders, baking soda and powder, and salt until combined.
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla together. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Brew some hot coffee. Use a liquid measuring cup to measure out 1/2 cup of it. Pour on top of the rest of the batter and mix until the batter is quite thin and runny.
- Take your Nordic Ware 75th Anniversary Braided Bundt and spray it heavily with a baking spray containing flour* Take a pastry brush and spread it in every corner of your pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan evenly, 3/4 full to prevent overflow. Lay out a dish towel and tap the Bundt pan on top of it to release all air bubbles. Tip the batter to lightly cover the pan just above the batter line to ensure that the cake bakes correctly.
- Place in oven and let it bake for 45-50 minutes, or until you can stick a skewer in it and it comes out with no crumbs stuck to it.
- Once taken out of the oven, let cool for 10 minutes on a wire cooling rack before flipping it on to the rack. Once out of the pan, let the cake cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, make the stiffened whipped cream. In a stand mixer or a bowl with a hand mixer, pour the heavy cream into the bowl and mix on medium-high speed until soft peaks begin to form. While it is whipping, mix the powdered sugar and pudding mix together and set aside. Once soft peaks have formed, slowly dump the powdered sugar mixture into the cream and once it has all been mixed in, turn the speed up and whip until stiff peaks form. Place in w piping bag with a star tip and set aside in fridge until ready to use.
- When cake is completely cooled, put it on a cake stand. Take the cherry pie filling and pour it in a bowl. Take a spoon and place 3 cherries in each major crevice of the cake (There should be six.) Once the cherries have been placed, take the whipped cream and create raised rosettes on the higher parts of the Bundt. To make a raised rosette, start on the outside of a circle. Begin to create the circle, going from the outside in, and as you begin to get to the center, overlap the whipped cream on top of the already piped rosette, until you reach the top. Repeat six times until you have finished the cake. Enjoy!