Corned beef and cabbage – the most traditional St. Patrick’s Day meal. What’s not to love about tender, cuts-like-butter meat served with roasted veggies and potatoes? This hearty meal is definitely a crowd pleaser, and one you will want to be sure to include on your St. Patrick’s Day menu. -LHTC Team
prep time: 10 Mins | cook TIME: 8-10 HOURS | servings: 6 | From LHTC
- 1 corned beef brisket 3-4 pounds
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups water
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled & quartered
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage cut into wedges
1. Chop onion into large chunks and place in the bottom of a 6 qt slow cooker. Top with corned beef and seasoning packet.
2. Pour water into slow cooker until it just about covers the corned beef. Add garlic and bay leaves.
3. Cook on low 8-10 hours.
4. After the initial 3 hours, add potatoes and carrots to the slow cooker.
5. Two hours before serving, add cabbage wedges to the slow cooker.
6. Remove corned beef from slow cooker and let rest 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
Once cooked your corned beef should be tender (mine usually cooks closer to the 10 hour time). Appliances can vary, if your corned beef is not tender, it likely needs to cook longer. It is essential to cut your corned beef across the grain.