This pizza is loaded with toppings and cheese and cooked in a cast iron or carbon steel skillet for a perfect, crispy crust. This recipe comes to us from blogger Nick Evans. For more recipes like this one, head over to his website. –Lodge Cast-Iron
prep time: 30 mins | cook TIME: 90 mins | servings: 4
- 3 ¼ cups (16.25 ounces) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cups warm water (10 ounces)
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter (3 melted, 4 softened)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for bread
- 1, 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¾ pound low-moisture mozzarella, sliced
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage
- ½ red pepper, sliced thin
- ½ green pepper, sliced thin
- ¼ sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well, then slowly add water and melted butter until the dough ball comes together. Knead this for 8-10 minutes until the dough is glossy and smooth. Alternatively, in a mixer, beat dough for 5-6 minutes with the dough hook on medium.
- Let ball of dough rise in a lightly oiled bowl for about an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll it out to roughly a 16 x 12 rectangle.
- Spread on softened butter leaving about ½ inch around the edges of the dough.
- Roll up the dough like a cigar. Fold dough over itself into thirds. Pinch the seams around the dough to form a ball.
- Let dough rise a second time in your fridge for 1 hour.
- Stir together ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. Feel free to adjust flavors to your liking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll dough ball into about a 15-inch diameter circle.
- Add pizza dough to a 12 Inch Cast Iron or Carbon Steel Skillet. Work the dough up the sides and make a crust. Mush the dough into all the corners of the pan and crimp it around the edges.
- Add sliced mozzarella cheese to the bottom, followed by your marinara sauce. You can add all the sauce for a very saucy pie, or ½-⅔ of it if you want a less saucy pizza.
- Add small chunks of sweet Italian sausage (uncooked), sliced peppers, sliced onions, and grated asiago cheese. Season the pizza with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 55-60 minutes. Let cooked pizza rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.