prep time: 60 mins | cook TIME: 20 mins | servings: 4-6 | From Nordicware
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus extra for prepping pan and bowl
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cups flour, plus some for kneading
- ¾ cup packed basil or baby spinach
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 4-5 tomatoes sliced, and placed on paper towel to absorb excess moisture
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- For Dough:
- Pour 1 1/2 cups warm water in bowl and sprinkle yeast onto surface. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Whisk sugar, olive oil and salt into yeast mixture and add flour. Mix thoroughly. In another bowl, pour a small amount of olive oil and add ball of dough. Turn over to cover in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm area until doubled in size, about an hour. While dough is rising, make homemade pesto.
- For Pesto:
- Pulse all ingredients in a food processor until desired consistency is achieved.
- For Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 450°F. When dough is ready, gently knead dough on a floured surface. Place dough on a greased Baker’s Half Sheet and spread completely to the edges of the pan. Build pizza by first spreading mozzarella across pizza crust. Then evenly arrange tomatoes, sprinkle with oregano and lastly, drizzle with homemade pesto. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust has started to brown along the edges and cheese has melted. Let pizza cool slightly before serving.
*NOTE: Premade dough can also be used for this recipe. If using store-bought dough, disregard homemade dough instructions and evenly spread premade dough on a greased Half Sheet. Use enough dough so crust reaches the edges of the pan. Baking time may vary depending on how thick/thin you make the crust.