With flavorful sausage, hashbrowns, sauteed onions & bell peppers, spinach and a little bit of cheddar cheese, this egg bake is the perfect make-the-night-before brunch dish. It’s packed with protein and veggies and can even be made a little healthier with turkey or vegan sausage! Serve on its own or alongside something sweet for a full brunch spread. –LHTC
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Milk, Half & Half or Evaporated Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 Large Onion, diced
- 1/2 Large Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound Ground Sausage
- 3 cups Frozen Hashbrowns
- 1 cup chopped Fresh Spinach
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with either butter or non-stick spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
3. In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and onions are just beginning to turn golden in some places, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
4. Wipe out the frying pan and cook the ground sausage until cooked through and browned. Remove from pan to a paper-towel lined plate to cool and drain.
5. Wipe out the frying pan again, and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the hashbrowns in an even layer and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides. Remove from pan to cool.
6. To assemble, in a large bowl, toss together the onion mixture, cooked sausage, cooked hashbrowns, chopped fresh spinach and shredded cheese. Pour into a pie dish and pat into an even layer. Pour the egg mixture over the top, pressing down the filling as needed to submerge. Cook 35-40 minutes, or until eggs are set.