prep time: 30 mins | cook TIME: 45 mins | servings: 8-10 | FROM NORDICWARE
- pie crust:
- 4 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups shortening
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups raspberries
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup corn starch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- course sugar for crust topping
- Start by preparing the crust. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Using pastry blender, cut shortening into flour until mixture forms into small pieces. In another small bowl, whisk together water, vinegar and egg until well blended. Pour liquid into flour mixture and stir together with fork until dough comes together. Be sure not to over mix. If the dough seems too dry and crumbly when forming into a disk, add a tablespoon of water, one at a time, until you achieve the right consistency. There should still be some dry crumbs around the edges. Knead dough with hands and divide into two circular, flat disks. Place both disks in plastic bags and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours for the best results.
- When the dough is ready to be rolled out, lightly flour a large surface and rolling pin. Take one disk and roll out evenly to make a 12 inch circle to fit a 10 inch pie pan (crust should be 1/8-1/4 inch thick). Carefully roll dough around rolling pin and transfer to pie pan. Line bottom of the pan and cut excess dough from the edges. Place pan in refrigerator while making the filling.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine fruit and sugar in saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until warm and juicy. In a medium bowl, pour out about ½ cup of fruit liquid from saucepan and add corn starch. Stir until smooth and pour back into fruit mixture in saucepan and cook until thickened, about 2-4 minutes. Pour fruit mixture into pastry-lined pan. Cut butter into small pieces and dot the top of fruit mixture.
- Roll out second disk of dough on floured surface into a 12 inch circle. Sprinkle flour generously on Pie Top Cutter and press firmly into the center of the dough. Lift to reveal cutouts. Roll cutout crust around rolling pin and transfer to the top of the pie, centering the designs. Cut extra dough from top crust and flute pan by pinching top and bottom crusts together. Add additional dough cutouts if desired. Whisk an egg in a small bowl. Brush egg onto pie crust and sprinkle with course sugar, if desired. Add an additional shield edge to the pie crust with a long strip of foil, about 4 inches wide. Bake for 45-60 minutes, removing shield for last 10 minutes of baking. Let pie cool before serving with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.