prep time: 10 mins | cook TIME: 1 Hour | servings: 6-8 | FROM Lodge
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 6 cups cubed (½ inch) French bread
- 2 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 2 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- ¾ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Place a 10.25 Inch Skillet in the oven; preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit while you prepare the stuffing.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the celery, onion, and bell pepper, stirring, until soft but not brown.
- Put the bread cubes in a large bowl. Stir in the vegetables, then add the rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add the broth and stir well. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes, until the bread absorbs most of the broth. Stir in the egg.
- Put the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the heated skillet and swirl to coat the bottom and sides. Add the stuffing mixture. Bake until browned on top, about 1 hour.