prep time: 15 mins | cook TIME: 1 Hour | servings: 4-8 | FROM Lodge
- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Preheat a 12 Inch Cast Iron Pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, then cook bacon until done, about 10 minutes. Drain the grease from the pan and set aside.
- Make horizontal slices in the sweet potatoes about ¼ inch apart, being careful not to slice all the way through to the bottom.
- Place potatoes in the cast iron pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Add ¼ cup water to the bottom of the pan, and cover. Steam potatoes in covered pan over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make maple spice mixture. Combine melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- After potatoes have finished steaming, remove lid from the pan and bake in oven on middle rack for 35 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and turn it up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spoon maple spice mixture into each sliver of potatoes, sprinkle with bacon and a pinch of salt, and bake for 15 more minutes.