prep time: 30 mins | cook TIME: 1 Hour | servings: 8-10 | FROM Lodge
- 4 slices white bread
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 batches day-old cornbread, cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- ½ sleeve Saltine crackers, lightly crumbled
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce can condensed clam chowder
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and brush on both sides of white bread. Toast until golden brown and very firm, 5-10 minutes.
- While bread is toasting, add onion and celery to a skillet with 2 tablespoons butter over medium low heat. Cook until soft and slightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cut white bread into ½ inch pieces. Combine white bread, cornbread, vegetables, sage and saltines in a large bowl.
- Mix together chicken stock, clam chowder and eggs. Pour over bread mixture.
- Grease baking dish using 2 tablespoons butter. Pour in dressing, pressing down gently with the back of a spatula or spoon. Dot the top of the dressing with the final 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Bake 45 minutes to an hour, until golden brown.