FROM FINEX and Chef Gabriel Rucker
Famed Portland Chef Gabriel Rucker of Le Pigeon and Canard has been offering live cooking demos on his Instagram to keep us all entertained – and well fed – through the coronavirus quarantine. Check out his story highlights for a re-cap of this chicken recipe.
“This is a super fun chicken recipe and it has a ton of applications. I am using mushrooms and cream here because that is what sounds good right now but you can make it without the cream, if you like. I am also going to use cream sherry as cooking wine but feel free to substitute. The idea here is that you learn the technique of searing then braising.” – Gabriel Rucker
- 6 large bone in skin on chicken thighs
- 1 onion sliced
- 8 clove garlic sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, 1 if dry
- Pinch of red pepper flake
- 1 cup red wine, sherry or marsala, prune juice if you want no booze
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp chicken bouillon
- 1 cup cream
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Season chicken with salt, sear skin side down lightly in pan with a thin film of vegetable oil, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and add onion, garlic, thyme and spices.
- Sweat the vegetables for a minute then add wine and bring to a simmer to cook off the booze.
- Add stock and vinegar and return chicken to pan skin side up. Place in the oven for about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and carefully remove the chicken, add cream and mustard and simmer for 5 minutes to make a nice creamy sauce, stir in parsley and return chicken to pan.