SERVINGS: 6-8 | COOK TIME: Over 2 HOURs | FROM LE CREUSET
Ingredients for the Monkey bread:
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 8 ounces pancetta, cubed and crisped
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the Honey mustard dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to tast
- In a medium bowl, combine the bread flour, all-purpose flour and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the active yeast and water. Let rest for a few minutes to make sure the yeast is working. Add the sugar and stir to combine. Turn the mixer on and add the flour in batches, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Continue mixing for 5 to 6 minutes until the dough has come together into a large mass. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and let rise 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes, remove the dough from the bowl and cut into 1-inch cubes, about 64 pieces total, and roll into balls. Set aside for 30 minutes and continue to let rise.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter. Stir in the pancetta, cheese, herbs, salt and pepper. Toss each piece of dough into the butter mixture, then layer the cubes into a large baking dish. Let the dough rest 30 more minutes to rise a little more. While the dough is resting, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until the bread and cheese is golden brown. Remove and let rest 10 minutes.
- While the bread bakes, whisk together all ingredients for the dipping sauce in a small bowl. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve bread with warmed dipping sauce.