The flavor of the stuffing complements most fowl–there is enough here to stuff a 12-pound turkey or six game hens. The stuffing is also delicious as a side dish with roast pork or as a filling for cabbage rolls.
Recipe from EPICURIOUS.com
SERVINGS: 6 CUPS
TOTAL TIME: 90 minutes
- 3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice (about 9 ounces), rinsed, drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 small fennel bulbs, trimmed, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Combine broth, rice, 1 cup water and fennel seeds in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until rice is tender, stirring occasionally, about 55 minutes. Drain.
- Sauté sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towels and drain.
- Add chopped fennel bulbs and onions to drippings in skillet. Sauté over medium-high heat until vegetables are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add rice and sausage to skillet. Sauté until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in walnuts, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
If serving as side dish, rewarm covered in 350°F. oven for 20 minutes.) Transfer to bowl and serve. If using as stuffing, cool completely and fill bird.
On November 23rd we will be offering our knife sharpening service with the added bonus of next-day turnaround, at our NW Portland Store. Bring us your dull knives by 3:00 pm, and get them back wicked sharp by the end of the next day. Click HERE to learn more