Rain, rain, rain. It’s amazing how, even in the mildest of years, the rainy day after a sunny one just seems that much worse. We’re finding any way to cope today. Here’s a thought: tasty soup to warm the soul! This is one of our favorites, and it pairs very well with your favorite cornbread.
RECIPE: CHORIZO AND HOMINY SOUP
- 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 1 carrot & 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 tbls ground cumin
- 32-oz. container chicken broth
- 29-oz. can white hominy, rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Avocado and crema for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over med/high heat.
- Add the Chorizo, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are slightly softened about 5 min.
- Add the cumin and stir for 3 min.
- Stir in the chicken broth and hominy and simmer for 20-25min, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Ladle into bowls, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with cilantro, sliced avocado and fresh crema and serve with the warm tortillas.