Each week our friends at Sauvie Island’s own VIBRANT VALLEY FARM share recipes that spotlight the freshest local produce from their field. They are kind enough to share with us.
GRILLED SUMMER SQUASH WITH HERBED LIME DRESSING
- 1 cocozelle squash, washed and cut into 1/2″ thick rounds
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil plus more for brushing the grill
- Salt and Pepper (this a great time to break out your flavored finishing salts)
- Heat your grill to high.
- Place half of the basil leaves, the sesame oil, lime juice, and slat and pepper in a food processorfitted with a chopping blade and pulse until smooth.
- Add the olive oil slowly to bring the mixture to a flowing liquid consistency.
- Brush the grill with olive oil using a high heat brush or, alternatively, a paper towel folded in half and rolled into a tube. Place the squash rounds on the hot grill the first side about 2-3 minutes.
- Brush the basil mixture on the top of each round, then flip. Brush more of the basil mixture on the second side and continue grilling til fork tender, about another 2-3 minutes.
- Drizzle any remaining dressing on a plate and stack the squash rounds on top. Serve warm.