Each week our friends at Sauvie Island’s own VIBRANT VALLEY FARM share recipes that spotlight the freshest local produce from their field. They are kind enough to share with us.
MEXICAN BLACK BEANS
- 2 cups dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons pork fat, lard or bacon drippings
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 large sprig of epazote
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place beans in a large, heavy Dutch oven. Cover with 6 cups of water and pick out any beans that float to the surface. Let beans soak 6 hours or overnight. You can speed this process up by cooking the beans in boiling water for 1 or 2 minutes before letting them stand for 2 hours.
- Drain the beans completely.
- Cover the beans with 6 cups of fresh water. Add the lard or other fat, onion and epazote and heat slowly to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Once you reach a simmer, partly cover and cook for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more hot water as necessary to keep beans submerged by 1/2 inch.
- Season with salt, remove epazote and serve with rice.
VIBRANT VALLEY FARM offers both a CSA (produce) and CSB (flowers) subscription pickup at our NW Portland Store. Click here to learn more.